sexta-feira, 12 de junho de 2015

Review: Nicholas - Grace Burrowes (Lonely Lords, #2)



First, I want to say how very deeply sorry I am. I have finished reading Nicholas, from Grace Burrowes, early this week, but only today I could sit and write down my impressions of it :( Sorry, guys!



Anyway, let’s get started! Nicholas is the second book in the Lonely Lord series and we already knew the character from Darius, the first book. Nicholas is a very insanely tall man (I’m sorry for the drama, but I’m really short, haha!), handsome in his own way and very, very gentle. So much that sometimes it gets annoying. We also get pieces of Nick’s life during the first book, as both books happened at the same time.

He meets Leah, Darius sister, at a ball in a very delicate moment of his life. Nick promised his dying father to find a wife before the end of the season, as he would inherit the title of Earl of Bellefonte. Leah is a woman with a scandal in her past, so she is very badly treated by polite society in general and hates social functions. However, she doesn’t hate them more than she resents her father, a very mean and wicked man who hates her back. They meet in a dark room at the ball and Nick falls in love with Leah’s voice. He didn’t see her, just touched and heard and he was struck.

After learning about Leah’s situation and her identity, Nick decides to marry her to get his bride and protect her from her own father. They desired and burned for each other, but Nick always kept his distance. It was very frustrating and I honestly got a little bored in the end, because they kept going on circles and every circle was darker than the other was.

The plot, at first, didn’t seem so different from the others, but, as the story went and I met the couple better, both were just broken. Nick was much more broken, but Leah also faced every sort of misfortunes in life and still had the courage to keep living, even without any hope for her future. I knew Grace blooms the essence of her characters during the book, but this time it was hardcore. Analyzing the details, big revelations and all, the book won 3 out of 5 starts from me. But I gave it 4 out of 5 stars at my Goodreads profile.

No, it wasn’t compassion or happiness over another finished book. It was all about one specific situation in the book that got me hard, but in the good way. Nick has an older bastard brother, Ethan (the star in the third book of the series) and they were inseparable as kids and teenagers. When they were around 15, an unhappy accident made their father beat Ethan almost to death and separated his heir and his bastard son. Their father, in his deathbed, confessed he did it because he thought the boys were lovers, once they didn’t have any other friends and only dallied with the maids eventually and together. Both men are shocked with such revelation and tell their father it wasn’t anything like that. I’m not going to say that this is insane because it was another time; I can’t judge the actions of the Earl being an outsider to the English mind of the time. But I wondered almost a full day about how many of this situations happened and the involved ones never knew why they were being punished or had to pretend to be something they weren’t just to survive. All of this got Grace a bonus star, haha!

That’s it, guys! It was an interesting read despite everything and I will read Ethan’s book soon. Thanks for reading this <3 Do you like this kind of explosive/dark plot too?


Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário